Baingan ka bhurta is a North Indian specialty in which brinjals or baingan or eggplant are first cooked over charcoals or over direct flame. This will lead to smoky flavor to bhurta. Once skin starts peeling off, inner flesh is cooked with tomatoes , onions and spices. Here’s a detailed recipe .
Brinjal oe eggpalnt or baingan: 2 large
Onion: 2 chopped
Tomato: 2 chopped
Green chili: 1 chopped
Ginger: 1/2 tsp grated
Coriander: 2-3 tbsp chopped
Salt: to taste
Red chili powder: 1/4 tsp
Garam masala: 1/4 tsp
Jeera powder: 1/2 tsp
Dhania powder: 1/2 tsp
Haldi powder: 1/2 tsp
Oil: 2 tbsp
1. Wash and prick baingans or eggplants. Cook them over charcoals or open flame till skin starts peeling off. Let them cool.
2. Mash the pulp thoroughly and you can also remove hard seeds from it. Keep aside the pulp.
3. Heat oil in a kadai. Add onions and saute for 3-4 minutes . Add ginger and saute.
4. Add tomatoes. Add haldi powder, jeera powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder and cook till it starts leaving oil.
5. Add salt, green chili. Add mashed baingan and cook on medium flame. Mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes.
6. Add chopped coriander and garam masala and cook for another 2 minutes.
7. Serve hot with chapatis.
Like Delicious.Desi on Facebook.