One of our favorite dal which most of the people used to order in restaurants. Dal tadka is simple dal which is first boiled and cooked and then tempered with or tadka is poured over it.
Arhar dal: 1/2 cup
Masoor dal( split pink lentils): 1/2 cup
Ghee: 3-4 tbsp
Onion: 1 chopped
Tomato: 1 chopped(Optional)
Garlic: 5-7 cloves finely chopped
Salt: to taste
Dry red chili: 1-2
Turmeic powder or haldi powder: 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Jeera powder: 1/4 tsp
Amchoor powder: 1/2 tsp
Heeng or asafoetida
1. Wash dals and put them in pressure cooker. Add haldi powder, salt and close the lid. Cook on high flame till 1st whistle and then for about 10-15 minutes on low flame.
2. Heat half ghee in pan or kadai. Add chopped garlic, onions and saute. Add jeera powder, amchoor powder and cook on medium flame till cooked.
3. Add this to cooked dal.
4. Now heat remaining ghee in pan. Add cumin seeds, dry red chili powder, heeng.
5. Add this seasoning to dal and cook on low flame for 2-3 minutes.
6. Put this in serving bowl. Garnish with coriander or chopped dhania.