Pita bread is a bread used in many middle eastern and Mediterranean cuisine. It is soft bread made from wheat flour. Pita bread pockets are used in falafel sandwich. Pita bread puffs up when baked in oven or stove top and flattens down after cooling leaving a pocket in middle.
Wheat : 2 cups
Yeast: 1 tbsp
Olive oil: 1 tbsp
Warm Water: 1 to 1.5 cup
Sugar: a pinch
Salt: 1/2 tsp
1. Take 1/2 cup of warm water and put yeast and pinch of it sugar in it. Let it sit for 10 minutes until mixture become frothy.
2. In another mixing bowl put wheat flour and add salt and olive oil in it and mix well.
3. Add yeast mixture and knead a dough. Dough should be soft and smooth. Place this dough in a greased bowl. Keep the dough for 2 hours.
4. After 2 hours dough will risen up. Deflate the dough.
5. Divide dough in equal portions and make balls. With help of rolling pin or belna roll dough ball into round circle of 6-7 inch and 1/4 inch thick.
6. Preheat oven to 200 degree. Place rolled out pita circles on a baking tray and bake for 8-12 minutes. You will get puffed up brown pita bread.
7. Slice the pita bread and you will have pita pockets.
8. Make falafel pita sandwich from these pita breads.