Shahi tukda a heavy and rich dessert belongs to muglai cuisine. In this recipe Rabri is poured over tukda i.e bread pieces. Bread slices are fried in ghee and then dipped in sugar syrup and then rabri is poured over these fried slices.I had shallow fried bread pieces instead of deep frying as i want to cut few calories.
Here’s the recipe of this tasty, yummy and royal Shahi tukda
Full cream milk: 1 kg
Sugar: 3 tbsp
Condensed milk: 2tbsp
Cardamom powder: 1/4tsp
Almonds: 7-8 chopped
Pistachios: 5-6 chopped
Saffron strands:a few
For tukda or bread slices
Bread slices: 5-6
Ghee : 2 tbsp (if you want to deep fry bread then take more ghee)
For sugar syrup
Sugar: 4 tbsp
Water: 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder:1/4 tsp
Almonds,pistachios: 10-12 chopped
1.Take milk in a heavy bottom pan . Cook milk on low flame.
2.Whenever malai layer comes on top ,collect it and with help of laddle move it to sides of pan.Do this repeatedly whenever malai layer comes on top.
3. Stir milk occasionally so that it does not stick to bottom. Add saffron,cardamom powder, sugar and condensed milk.
4.Collect entire malai which we had collected and put it back to reduced milk.Whole simmering and collecting of malai will take about one and half hours.
5.Add chopped dry fruits and mix it well along with malai.
For preparing bread and sugar syrup
1. Trim the crust of breads. Cut each slice into square or triangle shape.
2.Heat ghee on tawa. Put bread pieces on tawa and roast them from both sides. Shallow fry them until they are brown and crispy from both sides.
3. Place water and sugar in a pan. Put it on a low flame. Cook till you get one thread consistency. Add cardamom powder to this sugar syrup and allow it to cool.
For serving shahi tukda
1. Dip bread slices into sugar syrup. Arrange them on serving plate.
2. Pour rabri over the bread slices.
3. Garnish them with chopped almonds and pistachios.