Chana dal pulao is a traditional Punjabi dish. In our family we used to prepare chana dal pulao on bhai-dooj and on lohri. We also used to call it chana dal khichdi. We used to pour ghee over our chana dal rice plate as it taste so good. This is our old family tradition of putting ghee over chana dal rice khichdi.
Rice: 2 cups
Chana dal : 1/2 cup
Onion: 1 sliced
Cumin seeds or jeera: 1 tsp
Salt: to taste
Red chili powder: 1/4 tsp
Black pepper powder: 1/2 tsp
Garam masala: 1/2 tsp
Green chili: 1 chopped
Lemon juice: 1 tbsp
Ghee: 2 tbsp (you can use oil if you want)
1. Wash and soak chana dal two hour before cooking pulao.
2. Similarly wash and soak rice half an hour before cooking pulao.
3. Take pressure cooker. Heat ghee in pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds , when they starts to crackle add onions and saute till they become golden brown.
4. Add green chili, salt, red chili powder, garam masala, black pepper powder, lemon juice and mix well.
5. Drain water from rice and dal and put them in pressure cooker.
6. Add 3 cups of water and close the lid. Pressure cook on high flame till 1st whistle and after that lower down the flame and cook for 10 minutes. Switch off the flame and let the steam escapes by own.
7. Serve hot. You can pour 1 tsp ghee over your rice plate, it will taste much much better. This is our old family tradition of putting ghee over chana dal rice khichdi.
Like Delicious.Desi on Facebook.