Dum aloo belongs to Kashmiri cuisine . Small sized potatoes are taken for making Dum Aloo,and gravy is made from spices and cooked on low flame.
Baby potatoes or medium sized potato:10-12
Oil:for deep frying + 2 tbsp
Onions paste: 2 onions
Tomatoes pureed :2-3
Ginger paste :1 tsp
Garlic paste:1 tsp
Cashew or kaju paste: 2tsp
Cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp
Cloves or laung: 3-4
Bay leaf or tej patta:1
Salt: to taste
Red chilli powder: 1/2 tsp
Garam masala: 1/2tsp
Coriander leaves : for garnishing
Yogurt or curd: 1/2 cup
1.Wash and rinse potatoes.Prick them using fork.Spread half teaspoon salt and half teaspoon haldi powder on plate and roll potatoes so that they are covered by salt and haldi powder.
2. Heat oil in a kadai and deep fry potatoes. Place them on absorbent paper so that extra oil can be removed.
3. Heat 2 tbsp oil in kadai.Add cumin seeds , tej patta , cloves .Saute for a minute. Add ginger and garlic paste.Saute till they become light brown.
4. Add onion and tomato paste.Cook on low flame for 5-7 minutes or till oil starts leaving kadai . Add turmeric or haldi powder.
5. Add salt, red chilli powder, coriander powder. Add curd and cashew paste and mix well.Cook on low flame for 2 minutes.
6 .Add 2 cups water and simmer on low flame till gravy thickens.Also add garam masala.
7. Add fried potatoes and let the gravy thickens for 3-4 minutes more.
8. Serve in a bowl by garnishing with coriander and little fresh cream.