Mohan thal is a traditional Gujarati sweet known to be served as prashad to God. It is a common saying that Mohan thal is favorite sweet of Lord Krishna. Mohan thal is a rich besan burfi with many dry fruits in it.
Besan: 2 cups
Mawa or khoya: 1 /2 cup
Ghee : 1 cup
Milk: 3-4 tbsp
Sugar: 2 cups
Water: 1/2 cup
Kesar: 4-5 strands
Green cardamom or choti elaichi powder: 1 tsp
1. Sieve besan and put it in a bowl. Add half ghee and 3 tbsp of milk in besan.
2. Rub besan with palms till it gives look of bread crumbs. Keep it for 20 minutes.
3. For making sugar syrup heat 1 cup water with sugar. Add cardamom powder and saffron strands. Simmer till it becomes of one thread consistency.
Heat a pan and put mawa in it and cook till becomes soft
4. Heat remaining ghee in a pan. Add besan and saute on medium heat till become golden brown in color and sweet aroma comes out. Add half of chopped dry fruits, mawa and mix well. Remove from heat and allow it to cool.
5. Add sugar syrup to besan mixture and mix it well.
6. Grease a thali with ghee.
7. Pour the mixture in greased thali and spread evenly.
8. Spread left over dry fruits and let it cool for 2-3 hours.
9. Cut it into squares and serve.