Idlis are my favorite. But when i don’t have time to prepare rice idli and want something quick for myself i have rava idlis. Rava idli is an another form of South Indian idli. This is a specialty of Karnataka. Best part is that it needs no grinding, soaking and fermentation. Rava idlis goes well with sambhar.
Rava or sooji : 1 cup
Dahi : 1/2 cup
Salt: to taste
Water: 3-4 tbsp
Rai or mustard seeds: 1/4 tsp
Chana dal: 1 tbsp
Jeera : 1/4 tsp
Cashew nuts or kaju: 8- 10 chopped
Coriander: 2 tbsp chopped
Green chili : 1 chopped
Oil: 1 tbsp
Soda: 1/2 tsp
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add rai, jeera, chana dal,kaju and saute.
2. Add green chili, coriander and saute.
3. In a mixing bowl put sooji. Add the mixture in it which we have prepared in step 2.
4. Add dahi, salt and soda and a little water and mix well. Let it rest for half an hour.
5. Now grease idli mould. Pour the batter in mould and steam it for 12-15 minutes.
6. Remove idlis from mould and serve with sambhar and coconut chutney.