Upma is a traditional South Indian recipe . It is a healthy breakfast option in which sooji is cooked with chopped vegetables. Upma is very easy to make and you can put any vegetable of your choice . Adding vegetables brings various colors to upma and it also increases nutrients in it.
Servings: 3-4 people
Rava or sooji: 1 cup
Onions: 1 chopped finely
Tomatoes: 1 chopped
Capsicum: 1 chopped
Carrot: 1 chopped
Green peas: 1/4 cup boiled
Green chilli: 1 chopped
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Curry leaves: 7-8
Dhuli urad dal: 2 tbsp
Salt: to taste
Red chilli powder: 1/2 tsp
Lemon juice: 2 tbsp
Oil: 2 tbsp
Water: 2 cups
1. Heat a kadai, put sooji in it. Dry roast sooji till it becomes light brown in color. Keep it aside.
2. Heat 2 tbsp oil in kadai. Add mustard seeds or rai and curry leaves. When they starts to crackle add urad dal and saute for a minute.
3. Add chopped onions and fry till light brown. Add capsicum, tomatoes, carrots, and cook them till they become tender. Don’t make them very soft.
4. Add peas , green chilli, salt, red chilli powder and mix well.
5. Add sooji and mix. Add water and cook on medium flame for 2 minutes.
6. Add lemon juice and mix well. Serve hot.
Like Delicious.Desi on Facebook.