Kale chane or black chickpeas are very rich in fiber content and very low in fats. I had prepared Punjabi kale chole which i learned from my mother in law. In our family we used to prepare kale chole or kale chane almost every Saturday. They go well with steamed rice or chapati.
Kale chole: 1 cup
Green chili: 1
Ginger-garlic paste: 2 tbsp
Salt: to taste
Red chili powder: 1/4 tsp
Cumin powder: 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1/4 tsp
Garam masala: 1/2 tsp
Oil: 2-3 tbsp
Haldi or turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp
1. Soak kale chole overnight in 3 cups water. In morning boil kala chana with same water in pressure cooker. Cook on high flame till 1st whistle and after 1st whistle cook on low flame for about 20-25 minutes or till they become soft.
2. Now make puree of tomatoes, green chili and onions in a blender.
3. Now in a kadai pour oil. Add cumin seeds when oil starts to splatter.
4. Add ginger-garlic paste and saute till light brown.
5. Add tomato-onion-chili paste and cook on medium flame till oil starts leaving from masala.
6. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, jeera powder and mix.
7. Add this masala to boiled kale chane. Add water if you want to make a thin curry.
8. Add salt, garam masala and pressure cook till one whistle. Switch off the flame.
9. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with steamed rice or chapatis.
Like Delicious.Desi on Facebook.