A healthy vegetable recipe of Indian kitchen made of lauki(Bottle gaurd) and Chana dal (bengal gram). I don’t like plain lauki sabji much but adding chana dal to lauki give it a good taste.
Lauki: 1/2 kg
Chana dal: 1 cup
Onions: 2 chopped
Tomatoes: 2 chopped
Oil: 2 tbsp
Green chili: 1 chopped
Coriander: for garnishing
Ginger: 1 tsp grated
Salt: to taste
Haldi powder: 1/2 tsp
Red chili powder: 1/2 tsp
Jeera or cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp
Jeera powder: 1/4 tsp
Garam masala powder: 1/4 tsp
Heeng: a pinch
Water: 1.5 cup
1. Wash and soak chana dal for half an hour. Wah, peel and chop lauki.
2. Heat oil in pressure cooker. Put cumin seeds or jeera in it. When jeera starts to splatter add grated ginger and saute.
3. Add onions and tomatoes and cook on medium flame for 7-8 minutes or till oil starts leaving.
4. Add salt, red chili powder, jeera powder, haldi powder and heeng . Mix well.
5. Add chana dal and lauki. Pour water and mix. Add garam masala.
6. Cover with lid and pressure cook on low flame for 20 minutes after 1st whistle. (keep pressure cooker on high flame till 1st whistle.)
7. If there is more liquid in sabji then simmer without lid so that water can evaporate. Vegetable should have thick consistency.
8. Pour sabji in serving bowl and garnish with coriander leaves.
Like Delicious.Desi on Facebook.