Maa chole ki daal is another favorite dal of Punjabis.’ Mah ‘ is chilke wali urad dal or split black gram with skin and ‘chole’ is chana dal or split black gram. This is a yummy dal recipe which has smooth and creamy texture. Here’s the recipe of this simple and yummy dal. This dal is often served in langars in gurdwaras.
Urad chilka: 1/2 cup
Chana dal: 1/2 cup
Salt: to taste
Red chilli powder: 1/2 tsp
Jerra powder: 1/2 tsp
Garam masala: 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder or haldi powder: 1/4 tsp
Hing or asafoetida: a pinch
Cumin seeds or jeera: 1/4 tsp
Onions: 2 chopped
Ginger: 3 tsp grated
Garlic: 3 tsp chopped
Tomatoes: 2-3 chopped
Green chilli: 1 chopped
Ghee : 2-3 tbsp
Coriander : for garnishing
1. Wash and soak dals in water for half an hour.
2. Pressure cook these dals with 4 cups of water for 15-20 minutes on low flame after first whistle. Also add half ginger , garlic , haldi powder and salt while cooking. Dal should become soft after cooking .
3. In a kadai heat ghee. Add cumin seeds. When cumin seeds starts to crackle add ginger and garlic. Saute for one minute.
4. Add tomatoes and onions. Saute them on medium flame till tomatoes become soft and masala starts leaving oil. Add green chillis , red chilli powder, jeera powder and cook for a minute.
5.Add mashed dal and simmer on low flame by mixing it completely . This dal should be of thick consistency.
6. Garnish it with dhania and serve with tandoori roti or rice.