Another well known recipe from South India : my favorite yummy medu vadas. It is an important part of South Indian breakfast menu. Vada are made of fermented urad dal and then fried. They are served with hot sambar and coconut chutney.
Serving: 15- 16 medu vada
Urad dal: 2 cups
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Green chili: 1 chopped
Ginger: 1 tbsp grated
Salt: to taste
Black pepper or kali mirch: 1/4 tsp
Oil: for deep frying
1. Wash and soak urad dal in enough water for 3-4 hours.
2. Drain water and grind soaked dal to smooth batter. Add little water if you want but keep the mixture a little thick. It should not be watery.
3. Add chopped green chili, grated ginger, salt, black pepper powder, cumin seeds and mix well.
4. Heat oil in a kadai.
5. Take some portion of mixture in hand. Make a small disc from it and make a hole with hand as shown in the picture.
6. Put it in oil and deep fry on medium flame till becomes golden brown in colour.